Forget-me-not analyzes the content inside several Microsoft Office documents and produces reports that give you a very clear idea how to translate these documents completely without overlooking anything and help you plan the additional work required for DTP and manual translation.
- How Forget-me-not can help you in your work
- How to run Forget-me-not
- Using Forget-me-not
How Forget-me-not can help you in your work
Forget-me-not helps freelance translators and LSPs translate Microsoft Office documents efficiently and without overlooking anything. It provides the following capabilities:
- Discover translatable text which will not be imported into your CAT tool using default import settings, e.g. comments in Word documents. By having this information at an early stage, you will be able to decide whether this content should be translated and then import the document into the CAT tool correctly.
- Discover translatable text which cannot be imported into your CAT tool and so requires manual translation. This information will help you create an accurate quote, plan translation work better, and avoid surprises at the last minute.
- Find formatting issues that need to be fixed before you import the document into your CAT tool, such as tab characters between words. This information will allow you to estimate additional effort, prepare the document for your CAT tool correctly, and use correct import settings.
- Find formatting issues that need to be fixed in the final translated document, e.g. partially invisible text in textboxes or table rows. This information will help you check the final document before delivery to the customer.
You can use the reports provided by Forget-me-not to prepare accurate quotes for your customers, estimate the time required for translation and DTP, import documents into your CAT tool correctly, extract translatable text that cannot be translated with your CAT tool and then insert the translation into the final document, prepare the document before/after translation properly, and avoid any surprises when the document is about to be delivered to the customer.
How to run Forget-me-not
Forget-me-not is available in two formats:
- As a standalone application which you can run from Windows Start menu (to run it, click Start > Forget-me-not > Run Forget-me-not).
- As a plug-in inside supported Microsoft Office programs. At this time it supports Microsoft Word. The plug-in is available under Forget-me-not tab:
Document Analysis Wizard
Whether you run the standalone application from Start menu or shortcut, or click Analyse Documents button in Microsoft Word, you will see the Document Analysis Wizard:
Document Analysis Wizard dialogue
Document Analysis Wizard allows you to select the type of report which needs to be generated, the CAT tool which will be used for translation, and documents which need to be analyzed. This dialogue provides the following options:
- Report type – select the type of report from this dropdown list. The only available report type is “Translatable content and pre-/post-formatting requirements”. This report will tell you which text will not be imported by your CAT tool, which text can be imported by changing the import options of your CAT tool, and which content needs attention before and after translation in the CAT tool.
- CAT tool – select the CAT tool that you use. You can choose between 3 tools: SDL Trados Studio, memoQ and Memsource. If your CAT tool is not on the list, you can still select a CAT tool which is similar to your CAT tool in its import capabilities. For example, if you use Déjà Vu X, you can choose memoQ.
- Which documents would you like to analyze – in this area, you can select the documents that you would like to analyze.
- To select documents, use Add Files button to select individual documents, or use Add Folder button to select a single folder containing the documents. Note that only Word documents (DOCX, DOCM, DOTM, DOTX, DOC, RTF) will be added since Forget-me-not only supports Word at this time.
- If you use the Word plug-in, you can also select “Analyze current (active) document” option to analyze the current document.
To analyze document(s) according to the selected options, click Analyze button.
After Document Analysis Wizard finishes analyzing the selected documents, you will see Document Content Report dialogue:
Summary tab of Document Content Report dialogue
The dialogue provides important information about various things that can be overlooked during translation and pre/post-formatting. This information is available in several formats:
- Summary tab: under this tab (shown on the above screenshot), you can see a list of all content that requires your attention during translation and document preparation. You can look through the list and quickly determine whether you need to use specific import settings to import the document(s), what needs to be translated manually and how much effort it will require, whether additional preparation is required before and after translation, etc. You can also check the boxes in the first column (titled “Include in report”) in order to include this content in the overall report viewable under Translation Instructions Report tab or in DOCX / PDF format.
- Translation Instructions Report tab: under this tab, you can view detailed instructions for each category of translatable content or content that requires your attention, according to the checkboxes in Include In Report column. These instructions explain how to import the content into your CAT tool if it is optional, how to translate content if it cannot be imported into your CAT tool, and what needs to be done if the content requires attention during pre/post-formatting.
- Report in DOCX or PDF format: by clicking Save Report button at the bottom of the dialogue, you can create a report in DOCX or PDF format. This report is identical to the visual report under Translation Instructions Report tab, containing import instructions, manual translation instructions, pre/post-formatting instructions and other helpful notes for the content found in the analyzed documents.
You will find further information about these in the following sections.
The first tab in Document Content Report dialogue, titled “Summary”, provides a list of all content found in the analyzed documents that requires your attention during translation and document preparation. The list contains the following columns:
- Include in report: the checkbox in this column indicates whether this content item must be included in the detailed report available under Translation Instructions Report tab or when you save the report to DOCX / PDF format.
- Type of content: this column provides information about the type of content item found in the analyzed document(s), e.g. standard document properties, custom document properties, embedded objects, etc.
- Text: this column contains the text of the content item. This information will allow you to decide quickly whether the content requires translation. Text is not available for some types of content such as images and embedded objects.
- Word count: this column indicates the number of words in the text of the content item.
- Page: this column indicates the page on which the content was found. If there is an asterisk after the page number in this column, it means that the absolute page number is different from the page number assigned to the page by the document author (usually displayed in the header/footer).
- Action: this column provides a short note explaining what should be done with this content. There are several options:
- Imported – this content is imported by default, but you can change the import options not to import this content.
- Can be imported – this content is not imported by default, but you change the import options in order to import this content.
- Not imported (should not be imported) – this content is not imported by default and it is possible to import it by changing the import options, but it is not recommended to do so (e.g. for tables of contents which are automatically generated from other text in the document).
- Other instructions for content that requires attention during document preparation (e.g. tab characters between words, fields that require updating in the final document, etc.)
- More information: the link in this column opens a dialogue that provides more details about the content item (such as the text, page number, word count) and details instructions how to import it into the CAT tool, translate it manually, or handle it during document preparation.
You can see additional information about each found content item using tooltips that appear when you hover the mouse over individual cells. The following additional information is provided:
- Text column: the tooltip will display full text of the content item.
- Word count: the tooltip will display the number of words, characters excluding spaces, and characters including spaces.
- Page: the tooltip will display the absolute page number if it is different from the page number assigned to the page by the user, and the type of document section in which the content was found (e.g. header / footer, footnote, comment, textbox, etc).
- Action: the tooltip will provide more details what needs to be done with the content.
The content in the list is grouped by document name and by category of content:
Individual groups can be expanded or collapsed by clicking [+] and [-] or by double-clicking the grouping row.
To get a detailed explanation of the content category, hover the mouse over the icon:
You can use Check All and Uncheck All buttons to tick / untick all items within the category, in order to include them in the overall report or exclude them from it. You can do the same by selecting a grouping row (either document or category), right-clicking and choosing Check Selected Items / Uncheck Selected Items from the context menu.
Translation Instructions Report tab
Under this tab, you can view detailed instructions for each category of translatable content or content that requires your attention, according to the checkboxes in Include In Report column on the Summary tab. This report is identical to the report which you can obtain by clicking Save Report button.
At the top of the report you will see general information:
- CAT tool selected in Document Analysis Wizard.
- List of analyzed documents.
This is followed by instructions. Instructions are grouped by the category of content found in all analyzed documents. Each group consists of the list of associated content, special notes, import instructions (if it is optional to import this content into the CAT tool), manual translation instructions (if the content cannot be imported into the CAT tool), and instructions for preparing this content before / after the CAT tool.
List of content and special notes
At the top of each category, you will see the list of appropriate content and special notes about it:
The notes at the bottom of the list provide the following information:
- Whether the content will be imported or not imported into the CAT tool by default.
- If the content should not be translated in most cases:
- What needs to be done with this content during document preparation before / after translation.
Please note that Forget-me-not assumes that you are using the default import configuration to import the document(s) into the CAT tool, so all recommendations in the report are based on this assumption.
For some content, the notes will be grouped by type of content:
Below the special notes area, if the content can be imported into your CAT tool, you will see detailed instructions how to import it.
Example: import instructions for standard and custom document properties for SDL Trados Studio
Manual translation instructions
If the content cannot be imported into your CAT tool or if it is optional to import it, you will see manual translation instructions.
Here is the recommended workflow for manual translation:
- Using manual translation instructions provided by Forget-me-not, extract the translatable content from the document and translate it. The best way to do so is to use a two-column table with source text in one column and translation in another column.
- When the final document is exported from your CAT tool, place the translations into the final document according to the manual translation instructions.
Example: manual translation instructions for standard document properties for SDL Trados Studio
Report in DOCX or PDF format
To save the detailed report in DOCX or PDF format, click Save Report button at the bottom of the dialogue and then select the appropriate choice from the dropdown menu:
You will be prompted to select an existing or new file name for the report.