Welcome to the 46th edition of Translator Tools Newsletter. In this newsletter, I would like to introduce a new tool called Author Anonymizer which was recently added to TransTools+.
Author Anonymizer – anonymize or correct author information in tracked changes, comments and document properties in Word documents at any time
Sometimes, rather than translating complete documents in a CAT tool, you only need to transfer tracked changes and comments added in a new revision of the original document to the translation of the previous revision of the same document. This way, you produce a translation of the latest revision of the original document which contains every tracked change and comment translated to the target language. This translation workflow is very common in the legal and pharmaceutical industries as well as on many international projects. Once the translation has been performed, every tracked change and comment added by a linguist is marked by their real name, unless the linguist changes their Word settings accordingly before each translation job. At the same time, customers often want to anonymize linguist names so that real linguist names are replaced with “translator” or some other generic title. What if a linguist forgets to change their name in the Word settings before adding tracked changes and comments? And what if the customer decides to change their requirements in the middle of the project, requesting you to use a different name?
Author Anonymizer makes it very easy to change names shown on tracked changes and comments, as well as in document properties. You can quickly process multiple Word documents, instructing Author Anonymizer to change specific author names to a different name:
Here are some of the main features of Author Anonymizer:
- Change specific user names in revisions (tracked changes), comments and/or document properties to an anonymized name such as “Translator”, “Editor”, etc. You can specify any replacement name.
- Remove all author information from revisions (tracked changes), comments and/or document properties. This feature is similar to the existing Word functionality.
- Batch-process multiple documents at once.
- Customize which types of document information should be anonymized. You can optionally anonymize revisions (tracked changes), comments, Author property, Last Saved By property, Manager property and Company property.
- You can select author names to be replaced by extracting them from the documents you are going to process.
- You can use profiles to save and load commonly used settings, e.g. add all linguist names to such a profile so that you do not have to enter them every time. You can also save the most frequently used settings to the Default profile which will be loaded automatically every time you run Author Anonymizer.
- You can also use Author Anonymizer to correct author information in Word documents, e.g. when the existing author names are misspelt, etc.
Author Anonymizer will be useful to anyone who needs to anonymize or correct names mentioned in tracked changes (revisions), comments and document properties. Here are some use cases:
- Change names of all your linguists shown in tracked changes and comments to a generic title, e.g. “Translator”.
- Correct typos in names shown in tracked changes, comments and document properties such as Author, Last Saved By, Company and Manager.
- Change employee names shown in tracked changes, comments and document properties to something else, e.g. company name.
For more information about Author Anonymizer, consult its documentation.
Other updates in TransTools+ version 2.3
Besides the addition of Author Anonymizer, the latest version of TransTools+ contains a number of other updates which might be useful for you. Here are some noteworthy ones:
- Highlighting Tool: if a document does not contain locked areas but includes locked content controls, the tool could not clear highlighting, displaying an error message. This is now fixed.
- Hide/Unhide Text: if a document does not contain locked areas but includes locked content controls, the tool could not complete the Unhide Everything operation. This is now fixed.
- Document Processing Tool’s window is now resizable and the window size is saved between sessions.
For the detailed list of updates, consult the version history page.
TransTools+ version 2
Author Anonymizer is part of TransTools+ Version 2 — a new major version of TransTools+ released in June 2023. TransTools+ Version 2 (including v.2.3 announced in this newsletter) includes all the tools from TransTools+ version 1 with the addition of new tools and features. In the future, all new features will be added to TransTools+ version 2 while version 1 will be updated with bug fixes.
If you have not yet installed TransTools+ v.2, download the installation program from the Download page (make sure to download from inside “Version 2” section) and install it without uninstalling version 1. Note that you need a new license for TransTools+ version 2. Registered TransTools+ v.1 users should have received an email containing a discount coupon for TransTools+ v.2. Those who purchased TransTools+ v.1 recently (since December 1, 2022) should have received an email containing a license for v.2. Let me know in case you have not received any of these emails.
Version 2 and version 1 are compatible with each other so all your lists and settings will continue to work both in version 2 if you upgrade or in version 1 if you decide to downgrade back to version 1.
If you are satisfied with the existing feature set of TransTools+ version 1, there is no need to upgrade to version 2. TransTools+ version 1 will continue to be updated with bug fixes for some time, however new features will be added in TransTools+ v.2 only.
I hope you have found this information useful. See you in future newsletters. To stay up to date on TransTools+, TransTools suite and Forget-me-not, don’t forget to subscribe to Translator Tools social channels on Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn.