Configure clean-up/restore rule
This command configures Word's Find/Replace dialogue for manual clean-up of text translated with SDL Trados 2007 / Wordfast Classic, restoring original text from it, or swapping source and target segments. and choose (see comment below and the Notes section) or confirm each replacement by clicking and for each found item.
Before you use this command, be aware that it is not 100% failproof. Do not use it in conjunction with Find & replace dialogue's 'Replace All' button unless you know that it will produce the expected results (see Notes for more information).
How it works?
An example of the dialogue and its operation is below.
Figure 1 - Manual clean-up in action
|Option A: Clicking will select the entire segment containing both source text, target text and Trados 2007 / Wordfast Classic delimiters. Clicking will replace it with the target text only.
Option B: Clicking to replace all occurrences (use with caution).
- The clean-up option allows you to translate and then clean some document sections which are not normally cleaned by Trados 2007. A good example is headers, footers and text boxes, which can be translated using SDL Trados 2007 or earlier, but which are not cleaned consistently (latest versions of SDL Trados seem to fix this, but experience shows this happens sometimes).
- The restore option is not available in either SDL Trados 2007 or Wordfast Classic, and is indispensable when the original document is lost.
- The swap source and target option is a great way to prepare your TM for translating a revised document you previously translated in one direction (e.g., from English to German) back to the original language (i.e. from German to English). By swapping source and target, you can clean the file into the translation memory you are going to use for translation of the revised file.
- If you are in the habit of translating e-mails in Word using Trados 2007, this command allows you to quickly clean the text without having to save the file and process it with Trados Workbench's Clean command.
Clean up document
- Select this option to configure the Find/Replace dialogue for clean-up of text translated with Trados 2007 / Wordfast Classic. This is equivalent to Trados 2007 and Wordfast Classic clean-up commands, however it allows you to clean only portions of the document, with a capability to clean sections like headers, footers and textboxes.
- Selecting this option configures the Find/Replace dialogue for restoring text translated with Trados 2007 / Wordfast Classic. If you lose the original document and have a bilingual version instead, this command will come in more than handy.
Swap source and target
- This option allows you to swap (or invert
) source and target segments. It helps you prepare your TM for translating a revised document you previously translated in one direction (e.g., from English to German) back to the original language (i.e. from German to English). "Swap" all the segments
, clean the file into the desired TM
, and start translation!
- This option allows you to use both source and target in the cleaned text. You can create bilingual text by separating the source and target text with the following:
- forward slash (/)
- line break
- paragraph break
- tab character
For all the available options, use the dropdown list next to this option.
- Hidden text must be displayed in order for the manual replace operation to work.
- The replacement operation may fail when segments contain Word fields (e.g. page number, total pages, file name, etc.). Use TransTools 'Check for cleaned document' command to find these segments, deactivate Trados 2007 tag protection using SDL Trados 2007 'Toggle tag protection' command, and then remove unnecessary text (source/target depending on what you want to do) and Trados 2007 formatting manually.
- This command makes some advanced changes to the settings in Find/Replace dialogue. If you wish to search for some other text in the document later, please use 'Reset find/replace dialogue box' from TransTools menu (or ), otherwise your searches will fail.
- The translation memory will not be updated during manual clean-up.