Configure Clean-up/Restore Rule tool makes changes to the Find/Replace dialogue for advanced processing of segmented documents translated with Wordfast Classic or Trados 2007: clean up the document, restore source text, or swap source and target text for creating a reversed TM.
- How Configure Clean-up/Restore Rule tool can help you in your work
- Where to find the tool
- Using Configure Clean-up/Restore Rule tool
- Related tools
How Configure Clean-up/Restore Rule tool can help you in your work
The tool has the following useful features for those who use Wordfast Classic or SDL Trados 2007:
- Prepare for manual clean-up of segmented documents produced by Wordfast Classic or SDL Trados 2007. This is useful if you want to clean a small document (e.g. translation of an email) without using Translator's Workbench. Also, this helps to clean some document sections that are not cleaned consistently by SDL Trados 2007 (latest versions of SDL Trados seem to fix this, but experience shows this happens sometimes).
- Prepare for manual restoring of source text in order to restore a lost source document from a segmented document.
- Prepare for manual swapping of source and target text in a segmented document. This is a great way to prepare your TM for translating a revised document you previously translated in one direction (e.g., from English to German) back to the original language (i.e. from German to English). By swapping source and target, you can clean the file into the translation memory that you are going to use for translation of the revised file.
Where to find the tool
To run Configure Clean-up/Restore Rule tool, click Configure Clean-up/Restore Rule item located in TransTools menu within TransTools ribbon in Word:
Using Configure Clean-up/Restore Rule tool
Open the tool and choose the appropriate option, then click Continue. This will configure Word's Find/Replace dialogue. Open the Find/Replace dialogue and choose Replace All (see comment below and the Notes section) or confirm each replacement by clicking Find Next and Replace for each found item.
Before you use this tool, be aware that it is not 100% failproof. Do not use it in conjunction with Find & replace dialogue's 'Replace All' button unless you know that it will produce the expected results (see Notes for more information).
An example of the dialogue and its operation is below.
Manual clean-up in action
Option A: Clicking Find Next will select the entire segment containing both source text, target text and Trados 2007 / Wordfast Classic delimiters. Clicking Replace will replace it with the target text only.
Option B: Clicking Replace All to replace all occurrences (use with caution).
- Clean up document – Select this option to configure the Find/Replace dialogue for clean-up of text translated with Trados 2007 / Wordfast Classic. This is equivalent to Trados 2007 and Wordfast Classic clean-up commands, however it allows you to clean only portions of the document, with a capability to clean sections like headers, footers and textboxes.
- Restore source – Selecting this option configures the Find/Replace dialogue for restoring text translated with Trados 2007 / Wordfast Classic. If you lose the original document and have a bilingual version instead, this tool will come in more than handy.
- Swap source and target – This option allows you to swap (or invert) source and target segments. It helps you prepare your TM for translating a revised document you previously translated in one direction (e.g., from English to German) back to the original language (i.e. from German to English). "Swap" all the segments, clean the file into the desired TM, and start translation!
Advanced clean-up – This option allows you to use both source and target in the cleaned text. You can create bilingual text by separating the source and target text with the following:
- forward slash (/)
- line break
- paragraph break
- tab character
For all the available options, use the dropdown list next to this option.
Click OK to complete configuration.
- Hidden text must be displayed in order for the manual replace operation to work. Show how to do this.
- The replacement operation may fail when segments contain Word fields (e.g. page number, total pages, file name, etc.). Use TransTools 'Check for cleaned document' tool to find these segments, deactivate Trados 2007 tag protection using SDL Trados 2007 'Toggle tag protection' command, and then remove unnecessary text (source/target depending on what you want to do) and Trados 2007 formatting manually.
- This tool makes some advanced changes to the settings in Find/Replace dialogue. If you wish to use this dialogue to search for some other text in the document later, use 'Reset find/replace dialogue box' from TransTools menu (or clear Find/Replace dialogue manually) in order to clear some search settings, otherwise your searches will not be successful.
- The translation memory will not be updated during manual clean-up.
Tools for Wordfast Classic / Trados 2007
- Quick-clean Document – clean a document quickly without using Translator's Workbench (Trados 2007) or Wordfast Classic add-in